Seventh Mission

Founded: November 1, 1776 by Father Junipero Serra
Named for: Saint John of Capistrano, Italy
Location: City of San Juan Capistrano

Fr. Fermin Francisco de Lasuén originally founded Mission San Juan Capistrano on October 30, 1775. A large cross was erected and some of the local Indians helped to gather timber for the building of a temporary chapel. After only 8 days the site was abandoned. This was due to an Indian attack at the San Diego Mission. The bells were buried to prevent their theft and Fr. Lasuen, along with the 11 soldiers from the expedition, fled to the Presidio in San Diego for safety.

Read More